The Group G match between the United States and Portugal ended in a 2-2 tie after Portugal’s Varela scored a stunning equalizer in the 95th minute.
So, what does this mean moving forward for Ghana?
1. U.S. must not win over Germany. If US wins then this would automatically guarantee that the Americans move forward in the tournament.
2.The U.S. must not DRAW with Germany : If they do then this would mean that both Germany and the U.S. would have 5 points, and both teams would advance.
3. The U.S. needs to lose to Germany, then it would all depend on what happened in the Ghana-Portugal game.
4. Ghana will be hoping that the U.S. loses to Germany making their goal difference to -ve or zero i.e :
If US loses by 1 goal [Goal diofference 0] then Ghana need to beat Portugal by 2 goals. [Goal Difference +1]
If US loses by 2 goals [Goal Difference -1] then Ghana need to beat Portugal by 1 goal. [Goal difference 0]
If US loses by 3 goals then Ghana need to beat Portugal by 1 goal.
5. Ghana Must Not Draw if they do then they are out.
If, by some chance, the U.S. loses to Germany and is tied with Ghana or Portugal in points and goal difference, the next tiebreaker is total goals scored. The U.S. scored 4 goals in the first two games. Ghana has scored 3; Portugal has scored 2. Whoever has more goals will qualify.
If it’s still even after that, here are FIFA’s next tie-breakers:
- Goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned.
- Greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned.
- Drawing of lots by the FIFA Organizing Committee.